[lug] NIC loses static IP config on reboot

Tim Stephenson tim at comteligent.com
Thu Apr 22 17:55:02 MDT 2004

Dave,
I checked as suggested.
When reboot and NIC is down ifconfig eth0 shows
Link encap:Ethernet Hwaddr 00:40:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
UP Broadcast Multicast MTU 1500 Metric 1
RX Packets:851 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns:0 frame: 0
TX Packets: 19 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns:0 frame: 0
Collisions: 0 txqueuelen: 100

It shows same for eth1 except packet quantity - no errors

When I enter ifup eth0
I get
Determining IP info for eth0 - failed
Ping 10.0.0.1
Doesn't get response

We then put the machine on another network and booted. It pulled down a DHCP
address and was able to ping other boxes on the network.

**************************************

David Anselmi wrote
>Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 17:27:23 -0600

>The info in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 is used (IIRC) >by
the ifup and ifdown commands.  When you reboot and the NIC is down, >what
does ifconfig show you (should show no IP and perhaps no eth0 at >all)?
>Then if you run "ifup eth0" what does that say?

>The ifup eth0 is what your init scripts do to bring the network up.  >The
Linux boot process isn't very mysterious, just look at the scripts
>(probably called net* in /etc/rc.d/init.d, again IIRC).

>It may be that the module for your NIC doesn't load before the network
>script runs (and so it fails).  If you can bring the card up by hand
>then it would seem the module autoloads correctly but maybe there is
>something preventing it.

>I have also seen a NIC where ifup would fail (couldn't get a DHCP >lease or
something).  But running dhclient by hand not only got the >lease but set up
the rest of the stuff ifup was supposed to do.  >Obviously DHCP shouldn't be
part of your problems but maybe there is a >similar failure in ifup.

HTH,
Dave

Tim Stephenson wrote:
Machine loses NIC configuration on reboot. During Boot the machine pauses
for a long time on:
"Bringing up Interface eth0" and then fails.
As per John Hernandez suggestion I checked the config script and it seems
okay.
[...]
>> DEVICE=eth0
>> ONBOOT=yes
>>BOOTPROTO=static
>> IPADDR=xx.x.x.xx
>> NETMASK=xxx.xxx.x.x
> Gateway=x.x.x.x
>
>But apparently the OS does not apply this script to the eth0 (onboard >NIC)
during boot. If configured manually the NIC works fine and can >ping out.
> As an test we configured Eth1 (PCI network card) with same IP, >Subnet,
gateway etc and could ping out through that. On >shutdown/reboot it too lost
all config info. Don't know whether this >is hardware or software problem.