[lug] NIC loses static IP config on reboot

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Apr 22 20:26:07 MDT 2004

Tim Stephenson wrote:

> Dave,
> I checked as suggested.
> When reboot and NIC is down ifconfig eth0 shows
> Link encap:Ethernet Hwaddr 00:40:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
> UP Broadcast Multicast MTU 1500 Metric 1
> RX Packets:851 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns:0 frame: 0
> TX Packets: 19 errors: 0 dropped: 0 overruns:0 frame: 0
> Collisions: 0 txqueuelen: 100
>
> It shows same for eth1 except packet quantity - no errors
>
> When I enter ifup eth0
> I get
> Determining IP info for eth0 - failed
> Ping 10.0.0.1
> Doesn't get response
>
> We then put the machine on another network and booted. It pulled down a DHCP
> address and was able to ping other boxes on the network.

Okay so either something changed with your DHCP client or server or it's
disabled?

(Just going by the description above...?)

Which Linux flavor is this again and is this a new install, or something
that just started happening?  I've forgotten some of the details on this
one, and I deleted some of the mail thread... (sigh).

Basically -- if putting the machine on another network it gets an
address and when it's on this network it doesn't, that tends to point to
either:
a) DHCP server on this network not working properly
b) Incompatible DHCP client/server (for some odd reason)

Last time I ever saw b) it was back when pump was one of the only DHCP
clients available and it didn't get along well with all DHCP servers.

Those problems were fixed looooong ago, though, and most distros don't
use pump by default anymore.

Ideas:

Anything in the logs?????  If your DHCP client is failing to get an
address on one network and works on the other, it's probably logging all
that activity somewhere in /var/log !

Got a cheap four port hub and another working linux machine you can run
tcpdump on to watch the DHCP request/reply session and see if it looks
sane/insane?

Nate Duehr, nate at natetech.com