[lug] NIC loses static IP config on reboot

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Apr 23 12:28:05 MDT 2004

Nate Duehr wrote:
[...]
> We've been chatting off-list about Tim's network issues, but seeing your
> note about profiles just makes me even more leery about this thing...
> uggh.  If someone did something to turn *that* mess on... all bets are
> off.  That's some really horrible code.
>
> Comment back to the group -- Tim's just trying to get the machine to
> stop doing DHCP and to use a static address.  Somehow I missed that in
> my reply.  Perhaps it's just time to suggest he completely remove the
> DHCP clients altogether?  Then we'd KNOW it wasn't trying to DHCP!  ;-)
> (I'm half-joking about this.)

I don't know about profiles, and in a way I'm surprised my box works.

But this isn't rocket science.  You can read the scripts that run at
boot -- in this case the networking one in /etc/rc.d/init.d.  You can
see that it runs ifup on each interface (it just looks at the ifcfg-*
files in the config dir).  You can also read the ifup script (it's a
script, not a binary like Debian's).  So you can find the place that
dhcpcd is run and what config file made that happen.

Change the right config and voila.

Removing DHCP so it doesn't try that isn't the answer.  The answer is to
find out *why* it tries DHCP.  Heck, even something like:

find /etc/sysconfig/networking -type f | xargs grep -il dhcp

is better than removing (and later reinstalling?) things.  You could
also use eth0, or maybe BOOTPROTO in place of dhcp in that find.

HTH,
Dave