[lug] Installation Guidance Request

Matt Thompson thompsma at colorado.edu
Sat May 1 17:02:19 MDT 2004

Calvin Dodge wrote:
> On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 11:40:05AM -0600, Trent Turner wrote:
>
>>3.  Run a partition manipulator.  Partition Magic if you're rich, fips
>>or some other free software.  I gotta believe most distros come out with
>

> GNU Parted is the way to go now, IMHO. You can download a self-booting
> floppy image from the Gnu site or a suitable mirror.
>
> Fips apparently hasn't been updated in 6 years, while Parted is updated
> regularly. Also, Parted doesn't require you to run a defragger first - it
> can move data around the disk on its own.

While I agree that parted is great for resizing, I'm not a fan for bulk
partitioning a whole drive like Charlie is doing.  When I need to clear
out a partition and make a new one, I use fdisk.  I've had trouble with
parted before, but fdisk always works (of course, rm -rf always works
too...caveat "typor")

In fact, I read on some list recently that parted does not like big
partitions.  Someone was trying to make a 2 TB partition and parted just
would not work.  fdisk was a champ, though.

Some day, I hope I have a 2 TB partition.  Of course, by that day,
there'll be some tool that replaces parted I bet.  And that 2 TB will be
on a RAID in a laptop.

Matt
--
I am a theoretical chemist.  Fear me!