[lug] Finding a File

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Thu May 6 09:43:29 MDT 2004

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 09:36:02AM -0600, Charlie Rose wrote:
> Gentlefolk .....
>
> I need to check out a modem I just installed, and understand that I should
> use a program called minicom to issue AT commands. Problem is ... I don't
> know where to find this program on my Mandrake 9.0 machine.
>
> What is the full name of this program so I can use the 'find' command
> locate it? I've discovered that 'find' doesn't like wildcards.

Well, two comment here:

 Programs usually live in either '/usr/bin' or '/usr/sbin' (the later are only
 meant for the administrator). Those neccesssary during boot may be found in
 '/bin' or '/sbin'. If you did compile/install some software yourself it most likely
 ends up in '/usr/local/bin'. All of those should be found in your PATH environment
 variable (do a 'echo $PATH'  to see. Note: as a normal non-root user you will not
 have the 'sbin' variants).

 So you can restrict your search to those directories -- but then: if the program
 would be there you could just type 'minicom' and everything should work.

 So, most likely, you need to install minicom (a popular application to talk to
 modems or serial devices). I'm not a Mandrake user so i can't really help here.

 BTW, you _can_ actually use 'find' with wildcards:

  $ find /usr/local/bin -name 'minic*'

 Should work. Since (GNU) 'find' has way to many paramters (allmost as many as 'ls' :-)
 i'm not repeating them here ('info find' is your friend). Just one comment: _allways_
 put your search expression into quotes, otherwise you might get unexpected results ...

  hth  Ralf Mattes