[lug] OT: suggestions for wiki/cms/?? for a family site

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Tue May 18 17:06:14 MDT 2004

I've got a family website that I'd like to share the
administration/configuration/etc with other members of my family.  They
aren't linux enthusiasts so giving them shell logins won't accomplish
much.

What types of packages are available that let non-techie types modify a
family style web page.

I'm looking for something to be able to allow people to write family
stories/family history, update contact info, post events, share recipes,
etc.

I'm not sure that a CMS system is the right sort of thing for this (but
don't know much except for what the acronym means).  It seems like wiki
is for documentation which is kind of family story related.

I'd also need it to require logins and have the means to block random
person from registering.

Does such a beast exist?

I'd be running it on a linux box and I already use gallery to allow
people to share photos.

Hugh