[lug] individual frames from AVI file?

Tkil tkil at scrye.com
Thu Jun 10 00:58:24 MDT 2004

>>>>> "Tkil" == Tkil <tkil at scrye.com> writes:

Tkil> What tools can I use to decompose these [AVI MJPEG] streams into
Tkil> individual frames?

Ed> I do this frequently for image processing in the lab.  See "man
Ed> ImageMagick" where the command will be:

Ed>   convert -deconstruct file.avi frame.jpg

It seems that "convert" can't handle this file type:

  $ convert -deconstruct 0066.avi output.jpg
  convert: AVI compression MJPG not yet supported (0066.avi).

I ended up using "mplayer" (with: -vo png -z 0).

Tkil> My eventual goal is to [...] do some smoothing, posterization,
Tkil> quantization, then rebuilding them into a small animated GIF.

Ed> There are multiple was to do re-assembly including the ImageMagick
Ed> "-coalesce" option.

Thanks!  This was exactly what I wanted, although I had to do a bit
more magic to avoid my cropping breaking the animation.  I was
cropping each input file to make the same smaller frame out of each
one, but the animation somehow kept the offset of the crop.  I had to
use the "-page" option to convert to get rid of that artifact.

Regardless.  "convert" seems to be exactly what I want; now I just
need to figure out how to make it squeeze this file down quite a bit
more.

(It's a damned shame that MNG never caught on...)

Thanks again,
t.