[lug] New Kernel Crash-Exploit discovered

Matt Thompson thompsma at colorado.edu
Mon Jun 14 11:41:35 MDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 10:36, Dhruva B. Reddy wrote:
> For those of you not following Slashdot, there is apparently a
> vulnerability in the Linux kernel that affects both 2.4.2x and 2.6.x,
> but only in x86 machines.
>
> http://linuxreviews.org/news/2004-06-11_kernel_crash/index.html
>
> It allows certain code (which is posted in this article) to crash the
> kernel.  There are a few patches that make the kernel immune, but no one
> seems to know why.

They must do something to nullify the bad part in i387.h:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=108704809114434&w=2

FWIW, Fedora Core 2 has announced a new kernel, and I'm sure it'll be on
the mirrors soon.  I'm sure Fedora Legacy and the rest are announcing as
well.

Matt

--
Learning just means you were wrong and they were right. - Aram
   Matt Thompson -- http://ucsub.colorado.edu/~thompsma/