[lug] Swap utilization

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Jun 14 11:31:03 MDT 2004

On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 02:52:56PM -0600, Jeff Schroeder wrote:
>1) Why isn't some of that swapped memory getting pulled back into RAM?
>Wouldn't it be better (where "better" is subjective) to drop the free
>memory to, say, 10MB if I can drop swap too?

Why should it swap it back in if you aren't using it?  Chances are just
as likely that you may need that RAM and have to swap back out that
page.  Linux will try to swap out things that are being used to make
space for more buffers.  That is why you may swap on a system which
seemingly has "enough" RAM.

>3) Is it even worth worrying about?  The server's performance is good--

No.

Sean
--
 Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something
 you HAVE done than regret something you haven't done.