[lug] proper way to MD5SUM a cdrom?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Mon Jun 14 11:46:45 MDT 2004

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 06:39:41PM +0000, D. Stimits wrote:
>Just a question on verifying CD-R's. I have the ISO, and have run md5sum
>on it, it looks good. Then I burn it with cdrecord. How do I verify the

Doing an md5 of the whole disc may work, but you may run into padding
issues, where the CD has padding that the ISO doesn't.  You can md5sum
the individual files within the ISO easily enough and that will solve
the padding issue.

Unfortunately, simply doing md5sums on the invididual files won't tell
you if a particular file was only readable after trying for several
seconds or minutes.  So, an md5sum is a good first try at verifying, but
we found that using that as our verification mechanism meant that we had
a substantial number of users getting unreadable discs from us.

Sean
--
 Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.  That
 way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.