[lug] ssh-agent under KDE and KNOPPIX

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Jun 21 14:40:02 MDT 2004

On Monday 21 June 2004 04:13 pm, Neal McBurnett wrote:
> Anyone know how to get KDE to use ssh-agent right (i.e. as parent to
> all applications)?  googles I've found refer to stuff that doesn't
> work, at least under knoppix 3.4.
>
> See http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/ssh-agent%20and%20KNOPPIX
> for a wiki page with "the story so far"...

Hmm.  It looks like you already know my trick.  In my ~/.Xclients file I have
	 exec ssh-agent $HOME/.Xclients-default
and inside .Xclients-default it has
exec startkde

So my only difference is that I use .Xclients and you tried .xsession.

Basically you need to find where startkde is run from and replace startkde
with "ssh-agent startkde".  I don't know how knoppix does it.

My final trick is to have a startup script in .kde/Autostart which runs
ssh-add ~/.ssh/id_rsa
and this puts up a dialog box to type my passphrase into.