[lug] ssh-agent under KDE and KNOPPIX

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Tue Jun 22 06:44:52 MDT 2004

On Monday 21 June 2004 04:40 pm, Michael D. Hirsch wrote:
> On Monday 21 June 2004 04:13 pm, Neal McBurnett wrote:
> > Anyone know how to get KDE to use ssh-agent right (i.e. as parent to
> > all applications)?  googles I've found refer to stuff that doesn't
> > work, at least under knoppix 3.4.
> >
> > See http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/ssh-agent%20and%20KNOPPIX
> > for a wiki page with "the story so far"...
>
> Hmm.  It looks like you already know my trick.  In my ~/.Xclients file I
> have exec ssh-agent $HOME/.Xclients-default
> and inside .Xclients-default it has
> exec startkde
>
> So my only difference is that I use .Xclients and you tried .xsession.

I did some poking around in Knoppix last night, trying to trace what happens
at startup.  It looks like it is trying to do the right thing and use ssh,
but I think it is configured wrong.

There is a directory /etc/X11/xsession.d, and in that dir are a bunch of
scripts whose names start with 2 digit numbers.  xsession runs those scripts
one at a time.  There are a couple (why two?) of scripts that setup ssh.
Unfortunately, their numbers are greater than 50, and 50 is the number of the
script that actually starts all the X stuff.  It looks to me like the script
numbered 50 should be renamed to 99 for ssh to work right.  This requiers
changes to the CD itself.

Also, it looks like it does looks for a .xsession file.  I couldn't tell if it
was clever enough to get the file from removable media, or if it always
looked in /home/knoppix which comes from the CD.

I couldn't see anything that I thought would definitely work without changeing
the CD.

Michael