[lug] Users added during install with no password

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Thu Jul 1 17:52:54 MDT 2004

I recently installed RH 9.0 and noticed that the user named 'rpm' was
added in the process and assigned the /bin/bash shell... but no password.
I assume this is normal and no big threat to security, but is that right?

What is the login status of accounts created with useradd if no password
is assigned to them? They seem to be un-login-able, but I'd like to know
whether that's the case or if there's some default password I just don't
know about.

- Bill Thoen