[lug] Cannot tunnel through SSH all of a sudden

Dhruva B. Reddy bdhruva at gmx.net
Mon Aug 2 16:08:54 MDT 2004

On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 at 15:43 -0600, Brian Rodriguez soliloquized thusly:
> Just a thought... but your friends in IT may have decided to block the
> port for outgoing SSH traffic.

What I meant in the last paragraph of my original post is that I can log
on to my box at home through SSH (no tunneling involved).  I can't imagine
it would be possible to discriminate between that kind of traffic and the
traffic generated by tunneling.  Even if it is, I'm pretty sure our IT
department lacks the skills to pull off something like that :-)

I forgot to post the command I'm using to try to tunnel (from the
client):

	ssh -L 3128:phatfree.net:3128 d-man at phatfree.net

Also, I see these messages appearing on the command line at random:

	channel 3: open failed: connect failed: Connection timed out
	channel 4: open failed: connect failed: Connection timed out

I'm kind of new to the 2.6 kernel (I'm running 2.6.5).  Is that what
these error messages look like now?