[lug] Cannot tunnel through SSH all of a sudden

Ed Moxley ed at moxleynet.com
Mon Aug 2 16:15:47 MDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 16:08, Dhruva B. Reddy wrote:
> On Mon, 02 Aug 2004 at 15:43 -0600, Brian Rodriguez soliloquized thusly:
> > Just a thought... but your friends in IT may have decided to block the
> > port for outgoing SSH traffic.
>
> What I meant in the last paragraph of my original post is that I can log
> on to my box at home through SSH (no tunneling involved).  I can't imagine
> it would be possible to discriminate between that kind of traffic and the
> traffic generated by tunneling.  Even if it is, I'm pretty sure our IT
> department lacks the skills to pull off something like that :-)
>
> I forgot to post the command I'm using to try to tunnel (from the
> client):
>
> 	ssh -L 3128:phatfree.net:3128 d-man at phatfree.net
>
> Also, I see these messages appearing on the command line at random:
>
> 	channel 3: open failed: connect failed: Connection timed out
> 	channel 4: open failed: connect failed: Connection timed out

You might have an old ssh process on your work host that didn't shut
down like you wanted and is holding port 3128 on you work host.  You can
look for that process and try to kill it or just change your ssh command
to something like:

ssh -L 3130:phatfree.net:3128 d-man at phatfree.net

and point your browser to 3130 instead of 3128.  (It will still go to
3128 on the squid side.)

Ed Moxley <ed at moxleynet.com>