[lug] Books for BLUG, affiliate options

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Tue Aug 24 04:44:05 MDT 2004

Chris Riddoch wrote:
> Hi, folks.
>
> I was just in contact with our representative with Pearson Education (Addison
> Wesley, Prentice Hall, etc.) who just sent me a few more books, and said to
> harangue everyone for more reviews.  She also said that we should consider
> their affiliate program, which is designed to give LUGs money and book buyers
> discounts.
>
> I'd like to remind everyone that I don't like the idea of handling money on
> behalf of the LUG.  We're not organized in any commercial or non-commercial
> way, and have no legal status whatsoever.  I pass up most opportunities that
> promise to give BLUG any money at all, since there are usually strings
> attached.
>
> It turns out that this affiliate program gives us a few options, though.  It
> sounds like it's set up in a sliding scale, with the proportion of money
> discounted to users balanced against the proportion of money given back to
> BLUG.
>
> I'd like to know how people would feel about getting a discount on books, in
> exchange for having a link from our site to Pearson's, and no money going to
> BLUG's non-existent treasury?  We could possibly get similar deals with other
> publishers, so we wouldn't look like we're favoring any publisher over
> another, if that's a concern.
>
> Thoughts?

Mainly, I feel that if their books in some way help or improve open
source, linux, and/or free software, it isn't a bad thing. Ignoring
money (since I really don't have any), I'd base the decision on whether
pointing people to their books might help/improve Linux.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net