[lug] Books for BLUG, affiliate options

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Aug 24 13:57:40 MDT 2004

On Tue, Aug 24, 2004 at 09:21:11AM -0600, Chris Riddoch wrote:
>I was just in contact with our representative with Pearson Education (Addison
>Wesley, Prentice Hall, etc.) who just sent me a few more books, and said to

BLUG probably doesn't want to deal with money, unless it sets up as an
official non-profit first.  In the mean time, it might be possible for
them to offer even bigger incentives on the books, applying the BLUG
mo-nay to the buyers.  I probably wouldn't use it, though.  I'm just not
buying many computer books these days.

>I'd like to know how people would feel about getting a discount on books, in
>exchange for having a link from our site to Pearson's, and no money going to

If it's in exchange for a link from BLUGs pages, it's effectively
BLUG selling advertising.  BLUG should probably think a bit about
whether it wants to do that and what goals it wants to achieve with it.
You'd probably also want to include other entities as well, like CU
Boulder who provides space, SoftPro was giving a lot of gift certs,
tummy.com of course for dedicating a server and bandwidth to host BLUG,
etc...  I can only speak for one of those, and while we certainly would
appreciate the "hosted by", it's not necessary.

Sean
--
 I have never been able to conceive how any rational being could propose
 happiness to himself from the exercise of power over others.  -- Jefferson