[lug] Exchange server without IMAP?

Michael D. Hirsch mhirsch at nubridges.com
Mon Aug 30 11:26:55 MDT 2004

On Monday 30 August 2004 01:07 pm, Nick Golder wrote:
> On 2004-08-30 11:02 -0600, David Morris wrote:
> > The company I work for in all its *abundant* stupidity has
> > decided to disable IMAP access to their email server.
> >
> > I need to find a way, if possible, to access their exchange
> > server without using IMAP.  I would prefer a solution that
> > reads messages directly on the server, but would not mind a
> > downloading messages if that is what it would take to keep
> > using a Linux mail client.
>
> Evolutions has a module for doing the Exchange dance.  The bad thing is
> that it costs money...

Not any more!  When Novell bought Ximian they Open Sourced it.  That's what I
use, and it works quite well.  Actually, I dislike evolution, but it works as
well as evolution works.  If they could just port that ability into kmail I'd
be happy as a clam.

The easiest way to get it is to install Red Carpet from Ximian, then use that
to install Evolutions Connector.  Only a limited collection of distributions
is supported, however.

Michael