[lug] Debian Woody and NFS Version 3

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Mon Aug 30 21:50:59 MDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 22:25, Paul E Condon wrote:
> The only version that I see in the repository that I use is 1:1.0.6-3
> Seems strange as I think I'm monitoring stable, testing, and unstable
> and there's no sign of a version 3.

NFS Version 3 is a protocol version level.  The 1:1.0.6-3 version you
referenced is a Debian package number.  The two numbers are not related
as far as I know.

NFS Version 3 has been supported in the kernel for some time now, I
believe.  I haven't dug deep, but it looks like you may need to enable
the following in the kernel config:

CONFIG_NFS_V3
CONFIG_NFSD_V3

(these may already be enabled in your distribution)

Then you need to specify on the client side that you're using
version 3:

mount -tnfs -onfsvers=3,rw,rsize=4096 host:/remote /local

Something like that.

--
Michael J. Hammel           |
The Graphics Muse           |  If it's true that we are here to help others,