[lug] Linux sound or lack thereof

Paul E Condon pecondon at mesanetworks.net
Thu Sep 9 13:42:41 MDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 09, 2004 at 11:07:38AM -0600, David Morris wrote:
> I don't know if this will fix any of your problems, but
> ensure your user account is a member of the 'audio' group so
> it has full access to the audio devices.  Some programs I've
> found will throw a fit if they don't have rw access to all
> audio devices.  I seem to recall that some programs use suid
> or sgid for sound so just because one app works doesn't mean
> all will.
>
> Also ensure all programs are configured to use the proper
> audio device.  The devices of interest are generally
> /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer, but not always.
>
> --David

I was made a member of group audio by something in Debian install
process. And of several other groups.

Your suggestion about /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer lead me to look at
output of lsof. There is nothing about /dev/mixer, but artsd is
using both /dev/dsp and /dev/null !!! Very curious.

I've found some doc.s on artsd, and a pop window "arts status"
which tells me that "artsd is not configured for realtime scheduling".
So, I think I need to learn how to configure artsd.

Thanks. I have a lot to read before I ask more questions.
--
Paul E Condon
pecondon at mesanetworks.net