[lug] Linux sound or lack thereof

Todd Ruskell truskell at Mines.EDU
Thu Sep 9 15:08:15 MDT 2004

Another useful tidbit regarding both artsd for kde and enlightenment
sound daemon, esd commonly used in gnome.

If you have them set to not timeout, that is, to hog /dev/dsp and
/dev/mixer, you can get other apps to use the sound.  Try something
like:

artsdsp xmms      or
esddsp xmms

which effectively tells the daemon to accept connections, or some such,
from the application, in this case xmms.

As an aside, is there a way to make plugins like flash behave this way?
I've only ever gotten it to work with standalone apps.

Todd

This will allow

--
Dr. Todd Ruskell
Lecturer, Department of Physics		Office: Meyer Hall 326