[lug] Linux sound or lack thereof

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Thu Sep 9 16:56:16 MDT 2004

Todd Ruskell wrote:

> Another useful tidbit regarding both artsd for kde and enlightenment
> sound daemon, esd commonly used in gnome.
>
> If you have them set to not timeout, that is, to hog /dev/dsp and
> /dev/mixer, you can get other apps to use the sound.  Try something
> like:
>
> artsdsp xmms      or
> esddsp xmms
>
> which effectively tells the daemon to accept connections, or some such,
> from the application, in this case xmms.
>
> As an aside, is there a way to make plugins like flash behave this way?
> I've only ever gotten it to work with standalone apps.
>
> Todd

Some applications like xmms have the ability to choose an output plugin
(xmms ->Preferences->Output plugin->artsd).

Mplayer has a config file that you can add "ao=arts" to to choose artsd.

ogg123 had a -d flag to choose arts.

Flash has always just worked for me w/ kde under Sarge (I watched the
"This Land Is My Land" spoof in Firefox fine)

There are times though that only artsdsp works (e.g. rhythmbox).  I've
always thought of artsdsp as a wrapper that intercepted calls to
/dev/dsp and redirected them to the daemon.

HTH,

Hugh