[lug] KDE responsiveness in FC2/KRUD

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Mon Sep 27 02:38:18 MDT 2004

I've been experimenting with the Fedora Core 2 (KRUD) running KDE for
the last week or so, on a dual P2-450. Now I know this isn't so fast,
but I'm finding KDE or the default window manager for KDE blocks when
individual apps block (the mouse does not block and remains smooth).
Earlier redhat 8 and before did not do this, but they also used the
XFree X11 server and not the Xorg server. I've even tried recompiling
the kernel with the preemption, and verified both cpus are being used,
as well as the APIC distributing hardware IRQ's. I've also tried both
the stock kernels of KRUD and updated kernel 2.6.8.

An example would be that I run a large query on PostgreSQL via the
pgaccess tool, something that takes 5 minutes to process (but the
database is running on a separate machine sitting next to it with a
dedicated 100 Mbit card)...and am unable to switch to a terminal
(konsole in this case), web browser, or any other app for perhaps a full
minute. Has anyone else here experience this apparently
synchronous/non-threaded behavior?

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net