[lug] KDE responsiveness in FC2/KRUD

Alan Robertson alanr at unix.sh
Tue Sep 28 18:49:35 MDT 2004

D. Stimits wrote:
> I've been experimenting with the Fedora Core 2 (KRUD) running KDE for
> the last week or so, on a dual P2-450. Now I know this isn't so fast,
> but I'm finding KDE or the default window manager for KDE blocks when
> individual apps block (the mouse does not block and remains smooth).
> Earlier redhat 8 and before did not do this, but they also used the
> XFree X11 server and not the Xorg server. I've even tried recompiling
> the kernel with the preemption, and verified both cpus are being used,
> as well as the APIC distributing hardware IRQ's. I've also tried both
> the stock kernels of KRUD and updated kernel 2.6.8.
>
> An example would be that I run a large query on PostgreSQL via the
> pgaccess tool, something that takes 5 minutes to process (but the
> database is running on a separate machine sitting next to it with a
> dedicated 100 Mbit card)...and am unable to switch to a terminal
> (konsole in this case), web browser, or any other app for perhaps a full
> minute. Has anyone else here experience this apparently
> synchronous/non-threaded behavior?

I see similar problems when running on my AMD-64 - where (32-bit) Mozilla
in particular blocks for a very long time - no CPU usage.  Sometimes the
blockage is a few seconds, sometimes more.  I'm running SUSE 9.1 with their
2.6.5-7.108-default kernel for the x86_64 architecture.

Where it shows up is that I can't select text until this unblocks, then all
is well again.

--
     Alan Robertson <alanr at unix.sh>

"Openness is the foundation and preservative of friendship...  Let me claim
from you at all times your undisguised opinions." - William Wilberforce