[lug] What Development Environments, Debuggers, also Documentation

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Thu Sep 30 13:48:26 MDT 2004

> On Wed, 2004-09-29 at 14:50, Gordon Golding wrote:
> > I'm going to be doing development with Java, PHP, html,
> > a bit of javascript and POSTgres as database.  I'll be
> > mostly on a Windows PC.
> >
> > Who has recommendations?

> > I've been recommended JCreator for the Java parts and
> > Edit+ for PHP and writing SQL directly to POSTgres.

I have tried many editors for many languages, but have never
found one that works better than VIM.  For PostgreSQL, I
usually even write queries in a text file using VIM before
putting them in psql so I have a log of what has been done
to the database.  Not to start a holy war, but I have used
emacs extensively as well and didn't find even it worked
better as a development environment.

> > What are the best debugging environments for Java and/or
> > PHP?
> >
> > Also - I think I asked this, but missed the answer.
> > Documentation:
> > What about JavaDoc?  Is it good?  Should I push it here?
> > Should it be a standard in every Java development house?

Javadoc is an integrated method of documenting java code and
should definately be pushed.

--David