[lug] Who sells good Linux computers?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Sep 30 17:47:32 MDT 2004

Nate Duehr wrote:

> This is not true.  The Dell N-series are all pre-loaded with FreeDOS
> and do not come with an OS.

I just re-read my posting... haha... that's FUNNY.  No OS, but with
FreeDOS.  Argh.  Who borrowed my brain and forgot to return it?!

Anyway... the N-series have FreeDOS but I think Dell's just using that
to get around their licensing agreement with Microsoft which used to
have the stipulation that they weren't allowed to sell machines "without
an OS loaded".  So Michael Dell and the board found FreeDOS and thumbed
their noses at Bill and Co.  ;-)

They expect that you're going to reload the machine with something
useful once it arrives...

Nate