[lug] Who sells good Linux computers?

Evelyn Mitchell efm at tummy.com
Fri Oct 1 14:04:28 MDT 2004

* On 2004-10-01 13:49 Ferdinand Schmid <fschmid at archenergy.com> wrote:

> Our company has seen outstanding service through IBM's laptop support.
> We build our own desktops to best meet the needs of our staff - and
> because we happen to have an electronics department anyway.  This allows
> us to get most hardware problems fixed in less than one hour.
> However, we do purchase laptops.  We own a considerable number of IBM
> T-Series laptops and about 10 Dell units.  You can call IBM anytime,
> speak to a support person, and get the repair parts next day.  I have
> yet to see this level of service from Dell.  IBM gives you good service
> no matter how you purchased their unit.

I have had a similar experience with IBM's support for their Thinkpads.
It's been very good. Not quite as good as it used to be, but that's a
change from exceptional to very good.

We have standardized on Thinkpads because we use them as our primary
desktops and can't wait weeks and weeks to get them back in service if
there is a problem.

They stand up to very hard use very well, and we replace them (generally)
because the technology has improved, not because they've stopped working
due to our hard use. An example of how hard we use them, is we always wear
the lettering off the keyboards.

Two thumbs up on Thinkpads.

Ebay handles IBM refurb Thinkpads. Good prices there, and full IBM warranty
and support.

                            http://www.tummy.com/