[lug] Multiple Graphic Cards (boot woes)

rm at fabula.de rm at fabula.de
Fri Oct 1 01:41:53 MDT 2004

On Thu, Sep 30, 2004 at 10:58:11AM -0600, Shannon Johnston wrote:
> Can you try removing the PCI and adding it later?

I don't think PCI on a standard Mac is hot-plugable (even so
i've seen peolpe do it -- accidentally). I traced the problem
down a bit more:

 If i set my kernel to _not_ use a framebuffer console (aty128fb) and
 just use the open firmaware console ("video=ofonly") i get the console
 on the attached graphic card. But: when i now try to start X on the
 second graphic card the server complains about a not initialized device
 (which is probably true: the monitor doesn't show any signal during
 boot).

 If i use a framebuffer console then it seems as if the framebuffer
 driver (aty128fb) grabs the wrong device the ATI PIC card and uses
 that (which doesn't work since it's the wrong type of ATI card :-/

I _could_ just use the older atyfb driver and have the second card
as a boot console but i'd hate to have to switch on the power eatin'
21' Monster for daily work ...

 Thanks for your input RalfD