[lug] DELL computers with Linux

John Karns jkarns at etb.net.co
Fri Oct 1 22:32:33 MDT 2004

On Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Gordon Golding wrote:

>>> want to get a new computer. I don't care to touch Dell, as one must
>>> buy Microsoft OS with them.  <dino at boulder.net >.

> DELL sells computers with RedHat Linux Enterprise.  Look under
> "medium-size business" on their website.
>
> Smaller ones come with Enterprise Workstation - WS (I've got a room full
> of them in boxes.  Wiping Enterprise and installing Redhat 8...)

Recently there was a story on Groklaw about trying to order a Dell w/
Linux preinstalled.  For more more info see:

One of the comments to the article follows:

I was on a plane recently, sitting next to a guy who claimed to be a Dell
senior sales VP. I mentioned I had bypassed Dell for a purchase a week or
so before, because they don't support Linux. He acted surprised, and said
I should visit their web site. I told him I had visited the site (and saw
what PJ reported here); despite a claim to support Linux, it is almost
impossible to buy a Dell machine with Linux.

He continued to act surprised. I told him to visit his own website from a
customer POV and he'd see what I meant.

Don't trust Dell: they make nice machines, but they are on their knees for
Gates. I put Dell in the same category as HP (broken ACPI (nonstandard),
that they only tell Microsoft how to get around). 2+ years after Presario
release, they have still not fixed it.

>From my own experience, re ACPI implementation on a Dell, I was getting a
boot time error msg on my Inspiron 8100:

"Dell Inspiron with broken BIOS detected. Refusing to enable the local
APIC."

That's with a 2.4 kernel.  I had resigned myself to the fact that there
was a flaw in the BIOS, while wondering why they had never bothered to fix
such a problem in all of the BIOS revisions that Dell has issued for the
machine.

I've noticed that the error is absent when I boot from a recent 2.6
kernel, so figured that there was something relevant and long standing in
Linux ACPI support that had been fixed in 2.6 kernels.  But from what was
stated above, it seems that the kernel developers may have just discovered
how to deal with Dell's (intentionally quirky) implementation of the
standard.

--
John Karns