[lug] DNS Problems: Is it me, or is it Comcast?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Oct 4 15:50:19 MDT 2004

David Anselmi wrote:

> Michael Deck wrote:
> [...]
>
>> After spending more than an hour with various avenues of support at
>> Comcast, I can definitely say they have no clue but they all agree
>> the problem is that my host is sending "bad information". They can't
>> tell me what's bad about it, or what I can do, and they have provided
>> other answers that are all very wrong, so I'm stumped. I cleaned up
>> almost all the warnings listed at dnsreport.com, and we'll see if
>> maybe they're just more sensitive than anyone else.

Any chance you're running a caching-only nameserver locally and you got
a bad answer once and are caching it?

I deleted too many of the early messages by accident, and lost the big
picture here, but a caching nameserver that's doing negative caching can
be quite confusing when you're hunting down a problem.

Nate