[lug] Hand Holding Needed

Alisdair Davey ard at pergamentum.com
Tue Oct 5 17:51:00 MDT 2004

Nate wrote:
> I think if you go up to Mandrake 10, it would have done all of this for
> you... you can look at the installation documentation, but I think they
> have built in partition resizing and it will create the necessary
> partitions and squish Windows down to make room.  It's been a while
> since I played with Mandrake, and I have SuSE 9.1 on my laptop right now.

Mandrake has had the ability to do the partitioning for you, for a long
time. However, as a caveat to the comment above, (And I admit I haven't
tried a 10 install on a dual boot laptop) certainly a 9.2 install would
occasionally not allocate the space you asked for [Sometimes a defrag on the
windows side will help, but not always]. As far as I could research, this
was because it was paying too much attention to windows files marked as
'immovable'. My standard method is to use partition magic to create the
space on the windows side and then install Mandrake onto the freed up
partitions. This has worked like a charm, many many times!
Cheers
Alisdair

Dr Alisdair Davey                                 ard at pergamentum.com
Pergamentum Solutions                             Tel: 1-406-581-6869
2066 Dailey Lane
Superior, CO 80027