[lug] hung port

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Tue Oct 19 15:37:38 MDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 01:45:34PM -0600, Jason Davis wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 12:56, Duncan McGreggor wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I've got a linux server that runs apache. The apache process is now
> > dead, but tcp port 80 is still listening. To confirm there is no
> > process associated with this I have done the following:
> >
> > netstat -pn|grep 80
> > lsof -i|grep http
> >
> > There is an open port with no process associated with it. Does anyone
> > know how to close an orphan port without rebooting the server?

I saw the exact same problem recently, but with SSH (daemon)
on a Sparc LX running Debian Woody and the 2.4 kernel.  I
had time to kill so I did a lot of playing around and
research on it and never did find a solution other than
rebooting the system.  Restarting the networking services
and the ethernet device itself had no impact.  I ended up
chatting with a guy who has done some kernel development and
our best guess is that there is bug in the kernel somewhere.

-- David