[lug] hung port

Duncan McGreggor duncan at adytumsolutions.com
Tue Oct 19 16:06:50 MDT 2004

On Oct 19, 2004, at 5:37 PM, David Morris wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 01:45:34PM -0600, Jason Davis wrote:
>> On Tue, 2004-10-19 at 12:56, Duncan McGreggor wrote:
>>> Hey all,
>>>
>>> I've got a linux server that runs apache. The apache process is now
>>> dead, but tcp port 80 is still listening. To confirm there is no
>>> process associated with this I have done the following:
>>>
>>> netstat -pn|grep 80
>>> lsof -i|grep http
>>>
>>> There is an open port with no process associated with it. Does anyone
>>> know how to close an orphan port without rebooting the server?
>
> I saw the exact same problem recently, but with SSH (daemon)
> on a Sparc LX running Debian Woody and the 2.4 kernel.  I
> had time to kill so I did a lot of playing around and
> research on it and never did find a solution other than
> rebooting the system.  Restarting the networking services
> and the ethernet device itself had no impact.  I ended up
> chatting with a guy who has done some kernel development and
> our best guess is that there is bug in the kernel somewhere.

Interesting... this is along the lines of a thought I had earlier...
but I have no experience with this kind of thing, so this is all just
fantasy on my part.

In the process of googling for this issue, I came across a forum thread
where a C++ programmer had a similar issue with a custom daemon he
wrote: process was terminated, yet the socket was still listening.
After messing with it for a while, he found that the it had something
to do with C++ pointers (my vagueness, not his). So, this got me
wondering if there is a bug in the apache code somewhere, tucked away
in some dark little corner of pointer-dom.

No clue. Though, if it ever happens again, I guess I will just reboot
right away...