[lug] gcore for rh 9

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Thu Oct 21 08:42:15 MDT 2004

>>>>> "Andrew" == Andrew Diederich <diederic at boulder.net> writes:

Andrew> For fun I grabbed gdb 5.3, ./configure; make just to see what
Andrew> it gave me.  While it built a gcore.o, it didn't build gcore.
Andrew> There were actually a few gcore.c files about, so I went into
Andrew> each subdirectory to see what damage I could do.

Andrew> I'm beginning to think it's part of gdb, rather than a
Andrew> seperate executable, like in Solaris.

On my FC2 box, gcore is a shell script that invokes gdb.  It is
gdb/gcore_gdb.sh in the gdb source tree.  According to the ChangeLog
it was added on 2003-04-17.  I didn't look to see what gdb release
that corresponds to.

Andrew> (gdb) gcore
Andrew> You can't do that without a process to debug.
Andrew> Has anyone used this before?

Try "help gcore".  Also you will want to "attach" to your running
process first.

Tom