[lug] setting init 3 on KRUD install

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Fri Oct 22 17:13:28 MDT 2004

>> My suggestions: - - Can you do the install on another box, then
>> move the drive over to the box with the flaky video card? Then you
>> can set it to runlevel 3 and still have X installed.

D> Not real practical, hardware on this box is quite a bit different
D> than the other. Hard drive is also severely lacking for space on

well, when you move the drive to that machine it should redetect
everything. The only thing that would be problomatic is 386/486/586 vs
686 or more... since glibc and the kernel are specific for those
diffrent machine types.

D> all sides. FYI, the video card isn't flakey at all, it's a GeForce2
D> DDR card that runs flawlessly on RH 7.3, has never had a crash/OOPS
D> in a couple of years running 20 hours a day under load, sometimes
D> with OpenGL hardware accel. The flakey part is the installer
D> initializing the video card for X11 before asking me if I want to
D> configure X. Apparently it is probing to see if it needs to ask me
D> that question, which itself is causing a fatal error and
D> termination of the install.

weird.

>> - - Install in text mode, with no X installed and then install the
>> packages after you bring the machine up. It's likely not as
>> painfull as you think due to yum/apt-rpm... You can specify the X
>> program you want to run and it should pull in all the right
>> packages., ie:

D> In text or graphical mode it tries to initialize the vid card
D> before asking the X config questions, and fails there. It fails at
D> the same stage regardless of text mode or graphical install. It
D> looks like I will have to install with X completely missing and
D> figure out later how to install not only the X11 but all the X
D> apps. If I do this at a later date will it still give me the
D> installer package selection options? Obviously I am going to have

I think 'system-config-packages' will give you very much the options
that the installer does.

D> to completely remove anything X related to get it to not probe the
D> GeForce2 card, I really wish I could tell it to not probe that (if
D> I say noprobe it will fail the scsi and a lot of other stuff that
D> it needs to probe).

ah... how about:

linux noprobe expert

The 'expert' tells it you want to specify each module/driver it loads
and tweak the options. That might let it get past the X probe.

D> D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net

kevin