[lug] Wireless router question (OT)

Warren Sanders warren at sandersonline.org
Wed Oct 27 09:12:34 MDT 2004

Daniel Webb wrote:

>Other people probably answered your question better, but I'll just throw in my
>experience with this kind of setup.

Just offering my experience with Linksys AP's.  -  I have three wireless
networks; two on the same LAN at the moment.  These two were using
WAP11's; that is four units all together.  On each network, one is in
bridge mode.  Those in bridge mode could only act as a client, not
accepting connections from other clients.  So I had created wired LANs
on the other sides of the bridges.  This has worked very well for about
a year.  Then things went haywire requiring me to power cycle one or
both units of each network at least once a week.  On one network I
replaced them with Netgear WG302NA's.  So far I have had various odd
things happen when the master had a hick up.  The bridge suddenly had a
split personality thinking it was the master and accepted clients, then
bouncing back to bridge mode!  Well that happened only once and still
need to apply the latest firmware.  I now have the second set of Netgear
AP's on my desk waiting to be deployed.  The third WAP11 on the remote
LAN is of a older version lacking much of the functionality and
upgradability has lasted about two years and started requiring weekly
power cycles starting this month.  Not going to mention several Linksys
5 port switches going psychotic.

Good luck with Linksys,

--
Warren Sanders