[lug] Hard Drive Manufacturer Suggestion

Nick Golder nrg at nirgo.net
Fri Dec 3 13:26:09 MST 2004

On 2004-12-03 09:12 -0700, Chris Brotherton wrote:
> Seagate recently increased their warranty to 5 years, but I don't really have
> any experience with them.  Has anyone gone through the seagate warranty claim
> process?

I haven't dealt with Seagate on the IDE side of the RMA picture but the
SCSI side has been pretty seamless.  Out of the 35+ Seagate SCSI drives,
only two have failed and the RMA was only a 5 business day turn around.
For mission critical machines we keep a spare drive on hand.

Currently, I have a Seagate and WD (both 120GB drives) doing the
software RAID 1 dance with a Promise PDC20269 IDE controller.  It works
pretty well.  I also have smartmontools monitoring them for any issues.
Both drives have been running for over 14 months.

As far as IBM/HGST, I haven't had any problems with the 3.5" drives that
weren't produced in Hungary (and every one that was produced in Hungary
failed within 6 months except for one I didn't know about that was in a
mail server).  The 2.5" for laptops seem to work good.

--
-Nick Golder