[lug] Hard Drive Manufacturer Suggestion

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Fri Dec 3 09:53:18 MST 2004

On Fri, Dec 03, 2004 at 08:26:40AM -0700, Chris Brotherton wrote:
> I used to be a big fan of Western Digital, but lately I have had problems with
> them.  My current drive just died after 5 months.

I know that Western Digital Caviar drives _used_ to be pretty failure-prone
(of the computers I've worked with, the vast majority with failed drives used
Caviars). I also know Maxtor had a string of bad luck with their 1-platter
drives (slim 20 and 40 gig modesl) - I had two fail within two weeks of each
other (same manufacture date, different computers).

I tend to go with the opinion of hardwareguys.com (web site for the authors
of O'Reilly's "PC Hardware in a Nutshell"). They're big Seagate fans, so I've
been buying only that brand for some time now.

Calvin
--
Calvin Dodge
Certified Linux Bigot (tm)