[lug] Personal Financial Software?

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Fri Dec 17 00:10:48 MST 2004

I'm looking for suggestions on Linux-based personal finance
software.  I used to use Quicken 2001 and it was adequate,
but Quicken 2004 has lots of bugs and its attitude of
"you're too stupid to know what you *really* want to do"
annoys me to the point that I'm not willing to use it.

What I'd really like to do is find a Linux alternative,
ideally something with the capability to publish selected
reports to the web and enter transactions from a web form
(but not necissarily edit them).

I've tested GnuCash, Moneydance, SQL-Ledger, Kapital, and
two others whose names I don't recall at the moment.  None
of them really come even remotely close to ideal though
GnuCash comes the closest except for its complete lack of
graphs, no overview type screen, and the fact that it needs
to constantly open new windows (which could be done better
using the existing tabs interface).

I have seriously considered writing my own package but doing
so is a non-trivial task and I already have several ongoing
projects I don't have enough time to finish.

Any suggestions other than the above?

And yes, I am picky.  Deal with it.

--David