[lug] What's my IP?

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Jan 25 18:17:38 MST 2005

Matthew Snelham wrote:
[...]
> And if you suspect all of your net tools including netstat, have been
> compromised, you can go to the source:
>
> cat /proc/net/tcp

This may not work.  On my machine all I have by way of TCP sockets is
listening sockets on 0.0.0.0 so the IP doesn't show up.  I have to make
an outbound connection (so that netstat -t shows something) to see it in
/proc/net/tcp.

But if ifconfig is compromised, /proc may as well be too.  Then your
best bet is to look at the machine's network traffic from the outside.

Dave