[lug] Moving from RedHat 8 to Fedora

Tom Tromey tromey at redhat.com
Tue Feb 22 13:31:13 MST 2005

>>>>> "Gordon" == Gordon Golding <gordongoldin at netscape.net> writes:

Gordon> I'm thinking of taking an old RedHAt 8 machine down and
Gordon> rebuilding it with Fedora.

Gordon> 1)  What's the opinion on Fedora vs. RedHat?  Is it _really_ better?

FC 1 in particular was really just "RHL 10", only with a different
name.  And in terms of what goes on inside Red Hat, I'd say that FC is
basically the old RHL from an engineering perspective.  It might be a
little more bleeding edge, though even that is hard to say.  Really it
is the same folks doing the same stuff, only a bit more open, and with
more openness to come.

Personally I tend to be conservative in what I run here.  I don't
upgrade every year.  That said, at the moment I'm just post-upgrade,
so I have an FC2 box and an FC3 box.

In my view these are big improvements over RHL 9.  Bug fixes and
upgrades aside, the ability to use yum and apt-get is alone worth the
trouble.  Most FC users I know install a bunch of stuff from livna,
ccrma, dag, etc, etc.

Gordon> 2)  Can anybody think of major issues that I need to wath out for?
Gordon> Our code-base is Java 1.4 with Postgres.

Offhand I think you'll be fine.
But... for important upgrades I do a test first.

For java stuff, check out jpackage.org; FC is basically going that
route as well.

Tom