[lug] Problems with Fedora Core 3

David Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Mar 5 20:51:51 MST 2005

ben bullard wrote:
[...]
> Then I go through the commands till I get to "tar xvfj *.tar.bz2" and it
> informs me there is "no such file or directory".

This isn't a FC3 problem.  Probably it's a tar or command line problem.
  I assume you got something like this (the $ is your prompt):

$ tar xvfj *.tar.bz2
tar: *.tar.bz2: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Child returned status 2
$

That means you ran the tar command in a different directory than the one
the tar file is in.  If you can find the directory (folder, whatever)
where you saved the download you can use "cd /path/to/save/directory"
and then run tar.

If you don't understand that Unix paths are separated by forward slashes
(Windows uses backslashes), what absolute and relative paths are, etc.
ask away.  But you might google for tutorials on the command line or
shell first.  (Here's one that might do:

http://linuxcommand.org/learning_the_shell.php

but there are lots of others.)

Dave