[lug] Email brokenness?

Chris chris-blug at syntacticsugar.org
Tue Mar 8 16:43:18 MST 2005

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 16:24:24 -0700 Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org> wrote:
> It could be doing a double-check of your claimed domain and your IP
> address's reverse lookup domain.  It could be that you defined a SPF
> record and are not meeting the requirements for sending from your
> domain.

Well, that was my first thought... but I don't have an SPF record.
I'm rather dubious of the value of SPF records, given the conversation
I've heard about them.

> In the past couple years I have been forced to stop sending email
> directly from my home IP address and I now have my mail server relay
> everything through my ISP's mail server.

Which is kind of what I'm trying to do.  Except that my domain isn't
my ISP -- it's hosted by a friend of mine, and it's not the only
domain handled by the machine, but other users of the system aren't
reporting problems.

On the hacking society IRC channel, it was suggested that I check the
envelope address on my outgoing mail to make sure that my client
really is doing the right thing.  I'll look into that in a bit.

--
    Chris Riddoch
epistemological humility