[lug] ftp problem

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Wed Mar 9 10:11:42 MST 2005

Gary Hodges wrote:
> I could try it, but I think I have conclusively shown that the problem
> is in the transmission, not inherent in the files.  When a file has come
> in with errors I've verified it is OK on the machine it was created on.
> And often with a second attempt it comes in OK.
Have you eliminated hardware problems such as switches/NICs, or are you having
routing problems? I know of a shop that used to transfer their backups from Boulder
to Golden using FTP every night. Several hundred megs at a time and they never
had a problem with corrupted files.

If you suspect its a software issue, using rsync with ssh may give you more
information. You don't need an rsyncd running on the other end, for example
     rsync --archive -v --rsh=ssh user at example.com:/src/path/ /local/dest/path/
You will be prompted for the remote password unless you have installed your
public key on the remote end. If you can rsync reliably then it suggests
something with the FTP client/server communication and not hardware or
routing (not definitive, since the different protocol might not route
the same way or exercise the hardware the same way).