[lug] ftp problem

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Wed Mar 9 11:13:23 MST 2005

Here's a script I use to push tar files over ssh for remote backup. It does
a complete backup once a week, and a differential the rest of the time. The
one kind of plus is that the tar file doesn't have to reside on the local
machine for transmit.

#############
Rbackup.sh
#############
#!/bin/sh

. /root/bin/rbackup.cfg

TAR_OPTS="--preserve --exclude-from $EXCLUDELST -cT $PATHLST"
find ~ -iname ".LAST_FULL" -mtime +6 -exec rm -f "{}" \;
if [ -f $MARKER_FILE ]; then
	STYPE="differential"
	TAR_OPTS="--newer=$MARKER_FILE $TAR_OPTS"
else
	touch $MARKER_FILE
	STYPE="full"
fi
OUTFILE="$REMOTEPATH/`hostname -s`-$STYPE-`date +%Y%m%d`.tar.bz2"
if [ ! -z $REMOTE_PORT ]; then
	SSH_OPT="-p $REMOTE_PORT"
fi
tar $TAR_OPTS | bzip2 | ssh -Te none $SSH_OPT $REMOTEUSER@$REMOTEHOST "dd