[lug] VOIP setup advice

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Sun Mar 13 02:14:51 MST 2005

I now have two residences about 100 yards apart connected by 802.11b.  I
need phone service in both locations, but it seems like a lot of money
to be giving the phone company ($50 absolute minimum).  So, I'm
considering offering to pay a neighbor the difference to upgrade their
DSL to the top-tier service, piggybacking on their DSL, and use Asterisk
as my PBX server, with two Digium IAXy (S100I):

http://voipstore.pulver.com/product_info.php?products_id=52&osCsid=c578bb0aacaac6118932f0adce9dcfcb

and using livevoip.com with two DIDs for $14 + 1.2 cents a minute (still
unsure if the per-minute rate is for outgoing calls or incoming and
outgoing).

This is just a proposal after a few hours reading about voip, asterisk,
and voip providers.  Please advise whether this is reasonable, or any
other alternatives.

Another option that looks good is voicepulse (without setting up
Asterisk).  They seem to have a lot of the features we would want
Asterisk for (for example, the ability to only ring the phone for
certain people, and send everyone else to voicemail).

Daniel