[lug] Cluster Mfr Recommends

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed Mar 16 22:16:00 MST 2005

Nick Golder wrote:
> On 2005-03-14 15:37 -0700, Steve Sullivan <Steve Sullivan wrote:
>
>>The company I work with wants to purchase several
>>linux clusters and is looking for recommendations.
>>The typical cluster is 6 to 12 computers in one rack.
>>Usually reliability is a big issue, with high
>>availability software, fail-overs, etc.
>>
>>They want Intel Pentiums and run their own version of Debian.
>>They need a company that can deliver to Washington, Boulder
>>and other cities.
>>
>>Who would you recommend?
>>

> Haven't dealt with them but they are marginally local:
> http://www.aspsys.com

I worked here for a while making some prototype diskless cluster
management software. They have used SuperMicro a lot for the
Pentium/Xeon class, don't know if they still do. I personally have 2
SuperMicro m/b's that are doing well long since they became obsolete.
The only complaint I have is that one took a while to get APIC support
on SMP boards...which meant only one cpu could handle hardware IRQ's.
However, I don't think any brand of Intel chipset is any different in
this regard. SuperMicro itself seems to be fairly solid, and Aspen
definitely did a good burn-in process when I was there. As for delivery,
I know they've delivered all over Boulder Valley area. You'd have to ask
them though what they do now because it has been a while. Just to be
fair, I doubt any cluster builder is OEM to their own hardware unless
they are a big name like IBM. Everyone these days seems to sell name
brands or relabel of some brand with their own logo on it. If you get
someone who uses their own hardware brand, make sure they will be in
business for a few more years (e.g., IBM). If you buy from someone who
assembled from quality parts that they know work with linux and cluster
software, it won't much matter if they go away in a month or not.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net