[lug] DSL ISPs (Fwd)

William D. Knoche Bill.Knoche at sun.com
Mon Mar 28 08:21:27 MST 2005

Inability to type...
>----------------Begin Forwarded Message----------------<

Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 08:18:25 -0700 (MST)
From: "William D. Knoche" <Bill.Knoche at Sun.COM>
Subject: RE: [lug] DSL ISPs
To: jordan at cosmicpenguin.net
Cc: lug at lug.boulder.co.u

I use Qwest.
I decided on the Qwest Basic service, inexpensive isp service that provides little in the way of applications and or services.
I also pay $5 for a static IP.
Qwest provides a web based mechanism for rdns.

I tried to replace the Actiontec but couln't find anything very much better for any reasonable price.
I bought a used Actiontec for $20 and so no longer rent one form Qwest.
What I do now is run the Actiontec in transparent bridging mode and use my router (Linksys RT31P2) to login into the Qwest network with PPoE. I needed to do this to preserve the Qos for my voip service.

I run my own dns, smtp, ntp, http, etc.
The only thing I wish I had was nntp from qwest but I now read news with one of the web based services, usually google groups. I really prefer another news client but I don't have a free news feed...

Let me know if you have other questions, glad to help if I can.

--Bill