[lug] login security options for failed attempts

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Sat Apr 9 20:54:05 MDT 2005

I was asked about this, and I know I've seen similar settings available
in the past, but am unable to figure out this specific question. He
wanted to know how to disable a login account after 6 bad attempts,
followed by re-enabling it within 30 minutes automatically or by admin.

Now I figure this is likely PAM related (I use Fedora/KRUD, he uses
RHEL), so maybe there are modules that can be added even if not
available with standard packaging. Is it possible to do what he asked
either with standard installs, or with PAM plugins?

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net