[lug] firefox smart bookmarks/keyword fun

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Mon Apr 11 10:26:05 MDT 2005

Hi all,

As I'm sure you're all aware, you can type various keywords into the
firefox address bar and have it do useful things:

imdb <search string>
google <search string>
webster <search string>
dict <search string>

and so on.

With RHEL4, the default target for google was changed from the Firefox
default of a regular google search to instead do a Google directory search
instead (very irritating to me).

So I went to google to try and find where the default collection of
keyword addressbar searches gets set and all I could find were pages
describing how to create bookmarks with keywords to use for later.

grep -r imdb .   from within /usr/lib/firefox-1.0.2 didn't yield anything
interesting either.

Does anyone know how I can change the system wide default collection of
keyword searches?

Hugh